What Mason Mount and Antonio Rudiger did after Kepa Arrizalaga penalty miss against Liverpool

What Mason Mount and Antonio Rudiger did after Kepa Arrizalaga penalty miss against Liverpool

It should perhaps have been little suprise the Carabao Cup final between Chelsea and Liverpool went to extra time and penalties after their previous two meetings in the Premier League ended with honours even.

Little could seperate the sides with even Joel Matip’s header ruled out by VAR for an offside in the build up, while the flag also denied Romelu Lukaku.

Both sides had close chances with both keepers looking helpless as forwards barraged their goal and like superstars. Edouard Mendy proved Thomas Tuchel’s faith in him once again with some stunning stops for Chelsea.

It was Kepa Arrizabalaga who entered the field as the game came to it’s finale and in a cruel twist of fate, it was the Spaniard who missed the final penalty as Liverpool came away victors in the shootout 11-10.

football.london takes a look at the moments you may have missed below:

Shooting boots

Chelsea’s attackers rarely stray away from the headlines at the moment as the club’s struggle to find a consistent goalscorer continue.

On this occasion it seemed fair that Kai Havertz led the line, flanked by Mason Mount and Christian Pulsic with Hakim Ziyech left out of the squad altogether and Romelu Lukaku on the bench.

The warm up did see plenty of shooting practice with Pulisic looking particularly clinical ahead of the game, with Mount also chipping in with a few. The Chelsea fans would have liked what they saw.

Sadly, that form did not continue into the game as the American missed a brilliant chance as he found himself with just the goalkeeper in his way, but could only direct the ball straight towards him after a fantastic ball from Cesar Azpilicueta.

Mount did the same either side of half time, with his second half effort in particular seeing him in acres of space before curling around the keeper to hit the post.

Thomas Tuchel dropped to his knees and pounded the floor twice in frustration

Both players got in the right positions but without a goal it was not enough to avoid being substituted in the 74th minute as Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner entered the field.

Thiago Silva’s moment of worry

Not even 15 minutes into the game the Brazilian veteran had to sit himself on the Wembley turf. The 37-year-old sat holding onto his body, feeling his upper ribs on the left side. The physios came onto the pitch and there was a sharp intake of breath from the Chelsea faithful.

Silva underwent some brief physical examinations where he had to take some deep breaths of his own. It was difficult to tell how much the discomfort persisted but he needed little treatment despite the pain he was in.

A tablet, a swig of water and he was desperate to once again get going.

A different victim for Thomas Tuchel’s fury

It was a surprisingly calm Thomas Tuchel in the opening minutes of the first period, wearing a more smart-casual outfit than his usual selection.

He watched on as Chelsea started the game well, even showing some immense support as Trevoh Chalobah produced a brilliant tackle on Luis Diaz. The German rushed to his technical area to show his enthusiasm for the effort.

It wasn’t long until the animated Tuchel returned complete with forceful hand gestures and shots with one instance in particular tipping him over the edge.

Mount looked to break out of the Chelsea half but could not escape from Naby Keita who claimed the ball. The Chelsea star didn’t give up midfield maintained pressure to try and claim the ball back. He received an elbow to the face for his trouble and managed to have a free kick awarded against him, in an interesting move from Stuart Attwell.

Tuchel needed to vent. With fourth official based near the dugouts, well back from the sideline where the technical areas were located, the Blues boss had to find someone.

The 48-year-old wasted little time heading into Klopp’s area to direct his anger at the linesman, making sure his opinion was very firmly felt. As Tuchel reigned himself back in his eyes were wide and he gave an exasperated laugh.

His mood frustration wasn’t much relieved by the Mount miss noted earlier.

Virgil van Dijk’s confusion

Liverpool thought they’d taken the lead in the game via Joel Matip’s second half effort. The crowd was lively, flares had emerged and the atmosphere was electric until the old faithful VAR showed up on the big screen at Wembley.

Stuart Attwell had to look again at the decision as van Dijk appeared to hold the nearest Chelsea defender to Sadio Mane, who got on the end of Trent Alexander-Arnold’s free kick to head across to his German teammate.

As van Dijk did so, he was standing in an offside position and as a result the goal was ruled out to the bemusement of Liverpool’s stars.

The Dutchman perhaps more than most as he said: “I didn’t even touch the ball.”

Matip could only shake his head with a very solid look of anger, and made sure to speak to the referee next time he was in his vicinity.

What Edouard Mendy and Kepa Arrizabalaga did

It happened again.

With minutes left on the clock in extra time Kepa emerged from the changing rooms gloves in hand, it almost felt like he needed hype music of his own. Much like in the Super Cup final the Spaniard head onto the pitch in the dying embers of extra time to replace Mendy.

Moments later each team was preparing for extra time. The two Chelsea stoppers embraced in the break before the drama ensued.

Sadly, on this occasion it wasn’t meant to be as Liverpool’s full XI went perfect on their penalties before Kepa blazed over the bar. A brutal end to the game.

Mason Mount and Antonio Rudiger were the first players to console the stopper, with Jorginho not far behind. The duo both put their arm around the goalkeeper before the rest of the squad joined to surround their teammate in a huddle.

Promote Your Song