Music is an integral part of life for almost every person in the world. Musical 5 compositions of different styles and genres are listened to every day by billions of people on our planet. Despite the huge popularity and importance of this art direction, many people do not think about what styles and genres of music exist. In this article, we will analyze the 10 most popular musical directions, which are still in demand worldwide today.
This style belongs to the modern direction of music. This genre is characterized by simplicity, interesting instrumentation, and a sense of rhythm, while vocals are far from being the main focus. The main and practically the only form of musical composition is the song. This genre includes characteristic features of europop, latin, synthpop, dance music, etc.
Music experts highlight the following features of pop music:
- conservative scheme for constructing songs “verses + choruses”;
- simplicity and ease of perception of melodies;
- the main instrument is the human voice, the accompaniment plays a secondary role;
- the rhythmic structure plays an important role: most of the compositions are written for dancing, so they are distinguished by a clear, unchanging beat;
- on average, the length of the songs is from 3 to 5 minutes, which is fully consistent with the format of modern radio stations;
- lyrics are usually dedicated to personal emotions and experiences (love, sadness, joy, etc.);
- the visual presentation of works is of great importance.
This genre of music is characterized by rhythmic sensations associated with a certain movement. Some signs of rock compositions (electro musical instruments, creative self-sufficiency, etc.) are secondary, which is why many styles of music are mistakenly attributed to rock. Various subcultures are associated with this musical direction: punks, hippies, metalheads, emo, goths, etc.
Rock is divided into several directions or styles, ranging from “light” works of danceable rock and roll, pop rock, and Britpop, to brutal and aggressive death metal and grindcore. This genre is characterized by “musical expression”, in particular, increased dynamics (loudness) of performance (some compositions are performed at 120-155 dB).
Rock bands usually have a vocalist, a guitarist (who plays electric guitar), a bass player, and a drummer (sometimes a keyboardist). The rhythm section is made up of bass guitar, drums, and rhythm guitar (not always).
If music doesn’t give you all the variety of emotions, try sports betting. Many betting companies have good betting bonuses & casino promotions that allow you not only to have fun but also to earn good money.
This direction of music consists of several genres: from “light” styles (pop-rap) to aggressive ones (hardcore, horrorcore). Lyrics can also have different content – from light and laid-back (memories of childhood, youth, etc.) to complex social problems.
Hip-hop is based on styles such as funk, jazz, reggae, soul, and rhythm and blues. Quite often, hip-hop is confused with rap, which is fundamentally wrong. Rap is a recitative performance of musical compositions, while hip-hop may not have recitative at all. In the 1980s, this genre spread widely throughout the world.
The following subgenres of hip hop exist:
- old school: relatively simplified recitative, lines of the same length, unchanged direction of rhythm and beats;
- new school: relatively short tracks, more soulful motives (in the direction of pop music);
- gangsta rap: songs about hard life, hooliganism, crime, etc.;
- political hip-hop: the lyrics contain a call for anti-social activities, the unification of society to resolve various internal and external threats;
- alternative hip-hop: this direction is based on the styles of funk, jazz, pop-rock, and soul, and the compositions are a combination of music with recitative;
- G-funk: This style combines pi-funk melodies and deep funk basses (synthesizer fill, thin flute sound, and recitative), diluted with male or female backing vocals;
- horrorcore: this direction is distinguished by the greatest “rigidity” and brutality of the tracks;
- southern hip-hop: this style has southern motives of African and Latin American countries;
- Grime: Characterized by the track’s dark atmosphere, booming basses, and fast-paced, aggressive rapping.
Rap is a rhythmic recitative that is usually read to the beat. The performers of such compositions are rappers or MCs. Rap is one of the main components of hip-hop. But this style is also used in other genres (drum and bass, pop music, rock, rapcore, nu metal, etc.).
Rap – music is quite diverse. Compositions can be simple, but at the same time interesting and melodic. They are based on the beat – the rhythm of the songs. Often, there is some emphasis on the clap (clap), snare (clear and short drum beat), percussion (whistles, chains, etc.) or kick drum every beat. Keyboards, wind, and computer sounds are usually used as musical instruments.
R&B (rhythm and blues) refers to the song and dance genre of music. This style is based on the blues and jazz trends of the first half of the 20th century. A distinctive feature of the genre are dance motifs that encourage listeners to start dancing.
The R&B style is dominated by cheerful melodies that do not carry any special philosophical or mental themes. Many music experts associate rhythm and blues with black people, since all the “black” genres are based on, classical and religious motifs.
This musical direction arose at the end of the 19th century in the United States. This style of music combines African and European cultures.
Distinctive features of this direction are improvisation, sophisticated rhythm (syncopated figures), and unique techniques of rhythmic textures. Jazz also refers to dance music. The compositions are cheerful, give vivacity, and a good mood. But unlike R&B, jazz melodies are calmer.
The compositions of this direction of music are performed with the help of musical instruments, and the human voice does not take any part in this. MI can be solo, ensemble, and orchestral.
Instrumental music is one of the best “background” styles. Melodies based on live instruments and modern hits are ideal for calm radio stations, and listening to them gives harmony while working and relaxing.
Quite a popular style is folk music related to musical folklore. Compositions are the musical and poetic creative ideas of the people, which are passed down from generation to generation. Traditional melodies are usually created by the rural population. This direction of music is a weighty opposition to popular and academic singing.
The texts are based on various motives, ranging from warm love relationships to terrible and terrible military events.
Electronic music is a fairly broad genre, the melodies of which are created using electronic musical instruments and computer technology. This style has various directions, ranging from experimental academic songs to popular electronic dance tracks.
Electronic music combines the sounds generated by electronic technology and electromechanical musical instruments (telharmonium, Hammond organ, electric guitar, theremin, and synthesizer).
Trance is a type of electronic music characterized by an artificial sound, emphasis on harmonics and timbres, and a relatively fast tempo (between 120 and 150 beats per minute). Usually, trance is used for various dance events.
The list of musical styles and genres is endless – among the popular ones you can also mention disco, house, country, lounge, techno, and many others. Hundreds of different styles and musical trends appear from year to year, so everyone can find something that he likes in this variety.